The First Grade Health Curriculum integrates Physical Health and Anatomy, Drug Awareness, and Emotional Intelligence topics. The Physical Health and Anatomy instruction is supported by a PBS video series, “All About You”, along with follow-up discussions and teacher-created activities. The Drug Awareness and Emotional Intelligence units are sustained through the use of “Here’s Looking At You” accompanied by interactive dialogues, role-playing activities, and projects.
PHYSICAL HEALTH AND ANATOMYIN THE BEGINNING
- How life begins in living things.
- Life begins differently in different living things.
IN A HEARTBEAT
- How cells grow and split.
- Why we look like we do.
- How our heart works
- Why exercise is important.
- How muscles help us move.
- How our skeleton gives our body its shape.
- Our skeleton is made of many different bones that protect our body.
FROM FUEL TO WASTE
- Why it is important to eat healthy foods.
- How the food we eat travels through our bodies.
- How our body uses food.
- How our body gets rid of waste.
CONTROL CENTER – THE BRAIN
- How our lungs work.
- Why smoke is bad for your lungs.
FIGHTING GERMS - DISEASE
- How the brain is protected.
- Different parts of the brain control different functions.
- Germs are everywhere.
- Ways to protect our bodies from germs.
A HEALTHY SMILE
- How sound travels.
- How our ears work.
- Why our teeth are important.
- Ways to care for our teeth.
- An overview of the health lessons
- Ways they can stay healthy
- Ways to make good decisions.
DRUG AWARENESS AND EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCESelf-Awareness, Managing Feelings, Decision Making, Managing Stress, Personal Responsibility, Self-Concept, Empathy, Communication, Group Dynamics, and Conflict Resolution are ongoing themes incorporated into each of the following topics.WHAT IS A DRUG?
- Drugs are defined as any substance except food that affects the way the mind or body works.
- Discussion of how various drugs look like candy.
- We never put something in our mouth without knowing what it is.
- What poisons look like.
- Ways to remain safe from poisons.
FUN WITH EVERYONE
- Choosing good friends.
- Real friends don’t try to get us to do wrong things.
I AM SPECIAL
- Help others to feel accepted and included.
- Learn how to cooperate with others.
- Identify themselves as special individuals.
- Discussion of what makes us special and unique.
THE ASKING SKILL
- Acknowledging different feelings and how to address them.
- How to ask for things you want.
- How to problem solve if the answer is no.
- Who do you go to for help to solve a problem.
- Alcoholism is a treatable disease.
- Alcoholism can cause problems in families.
- Problems should not be ignored or they may worsen.
- Children learn to make good decisions to stay safe and healthy.