Welcome To Room 217
Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to second grade in Room 217! We are going to have a FANTASTIC year! We have 18 students in our class. Listed below are several important items about our classroom. Please take a few minutes to read through them and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
*PLEASE have students bring a water bottle to school each day to drink from, especially during hot months and on Gym days.
* Allergies: Please email me PERSONALLY if your child has allergies or other medical conditions.
* Homework: Homework will be assigned Monday through Thursday. Unless otherwise noted: it is should be completed and returned to school the next day. Additionally, there will be OPTIONAL Challenge assignments. Details to follow soon. If there is ANY question or problem with an assignment, please do not hesitate to contact me!! 3 missed homework assignments per marking period will result in an “N” on your son/daughter’s report card for that quarter. Official homework will not begin until the first full week of school (September 10th). Yeah! A more detailed explanation of homework in second grade will go home on Friday in the “Friday Folder”.
* Behavior: The school is adopting a Wildwood Code of Conduct. Details on “The Wildwood Three” will be coming from the office shortly. Stay tuned.
* Lunch & Recess: will be from 11:19 until 12:02. The children eat their lunch first and then proceed outside. PLEASE NOTE: On rainy and cold weather days, the students have indoor recess. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE gather a few items NOW, while it is fresh in your mind, and pack a small bag that they can bring with them ONLY on days when the weather is threatening or cold. Unfortunately, we do not have storage space for them at school. You may pack a puzzle, a book, a game, crayons etc. This will ensure that they have something to do at indoor recess. MOST IMPORTANTLY, it makes the transition to recess MUCH easier for all of us and saves important learning time. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
* Specials: will take place at different times everyday.
Monday- Computers (2:11-2:54)
Tuesday- Art (12:45-1:28)
Wednesday- Library (1:28-2:11)
Thursday- PE (9:10-9:53) & Music (12:45-1:28)
Friday- PE (12:45-1:28)
Please make sure that your child is prepared for their special. This includes sneakers and an extra bottle of water on Gym days, appropriate clothes on Art days and library books on Library days.
* Snack: Each day the children will have the option of eating a snack in the morning at APPROXIMATELY 10am. Please send in a healthy snack and drink. I emphasize healthy! Bringing a snack is your child’s responsibility. I do not provide snack for the class.
*Birthdays: Birthdays are very special! I look forward to celebrating your child’s birthday this year! I will contact you in writing prior to your child’s birthday to choose a convenient time to invite you in to celebrate. You may bring your child’s favorite book for you and/or your child to read to the class. If your child’s birthday falls over the summer, you may have them pick a day to celebrate, or you can do it at the “halfway” mark. For example, my birthday is July 19th, so I would celebrate my birthday on January 19th. As far as birthday treats, please send in a UNIFORM snack to avoid choices. Also, be aware that you should bring enough for Room 217 only. We will not pass treats around to other classes and teachers. Finally, be sure to send in any necessary paper products. THANKS!
* Reminders: *Please remember that school starts at 8:25am. If you arrive at school and the door is closed, kindly drive your child around to the front of the building to drop them off and he/she will report to the office to get a late slip. I appreciate your cooperation and help with this matter, as security and safety of your children is most important to me!
*Keep in mind the Lunch/Recess and Special times when scheduling appointments, as it is very difficult to retrieve the students during these times.
*Send in...summer reading lists, a hanger, emergency cards and a recent photo of your child for our class bulletin board!
*If you have a last minute pick-up change for your child and you have not sent in a note in the morning, please call the office and they will notify me of the change. I typically check my email before school and after school. I am very often in meetings when the children are in special, so the best way to notify me of last minute changes is to contact the office. If you have any questions, ideas or concerns throughout the year, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can reach me via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not hear back from me within 24 hours, please reach out to me again. Please assume I did not receive your email. It does not happen often, but sometimes emails have gotten lost out there in cyber space! I firmly believe in teamwork in education and an open line of communication. I cannot address what I do not know about. Your child will receive the BEST education when you and I work as a team. We have a common goal: the success and happiness of your child!!! I will be sending home much more information tomorrow, next week and also throughout this year to keep you updated on what’s happening in Room 217!
I look forward to blooming with you this year!!!!